Undo it and knit it again

The life and times of a retired knitter

Name:
Location: Leicester, United Kingdom

Monday, February 05, 2007

First Instalment


Of the birthday stash!


Not a very good image - it was getting dark by the time I got home and, of course, I had to photograph it then so I could start knitting some of it. There's some 6-ply Opal, some Regia Bamboo, some plain coloured Opal for fancy patterns, and at the front, Jitterbug. I also got some very short dpns to try. As some people have commented on the forum, I'm wanting to use finer needles. After wearing my first pair of socks for me on Saturday, I know what kind of fabric I want to create. I can't believe how comfortable they are.

So far I like the dpns, and I'm persevering with continental style. It's quite instructive to be doing this, ecause I find I'm terrified of moving from plain knit stitch - must be feeling just like a new knitter. But my shoulder is less painful this morning, so it's worth doing. I tried the 6-ply socks but don't really like the fabric, so have put that aside and I'm knitting 4-ply for practice, using Step yarn with aloe vera from the stash. When I get up the confidence, I'll use the Bamboo for a fancy pattern. I've ordered Sensational Knitted Socks, so with the Magknits's pattern, and Bronte's Cairi's socks, there's plenty of choice.

On the way to birthday lunch 1 I was haranguing DD about the difficulties of getting knitting needles. I'd wanted 3 pairs of short dpns and had managed to get 2 of them after Anna at Web of Wool opened a box which had just been delivered. And then she gave me my present - a card with a photo of Denises, because they were out of stock at Woolly Workshop! After lunch we went to see 'Gridiron Gang', and one of the lines from it keeps running through my head: 'It feels so good I can't believe it's legal' - about sacking(?) the other side in an football game.

Birthday lunch 2 was with DS and DIL yesterday, another treat. DS gave me a voucher for Poshyarns which I greedily 'spent' yesterday during the Sunday sale. The yarn I bought is for lace, so my lace stash and my sock stash are doing very nicely, thank you.

It's quite embarrassing that DD and DS know exactly what I would like. It says something of how boring I am with my knitting obsession.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kai said...

nice haul there!

and it sounds like you had a fab b'day!! :)

SKS is fab, you'll love it and your DS and DD know you have exclusive tastes... it doesn't make you boring at all!

Have fun with it all..

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home