Undo it and knit it again

The life and times of a retired knitter

Name:
Location: Leicester, United Kingdom

Monday, January 22, 2007

Assorted rambles


All my photos currently are of WIP's. This is Malin (or will be!) from the second of the small Rowan books. I find myself using Kid silk Haze a lot, which is surprising when you think it's so awful to frog. On the other hand, there is a fabulous range of colours; silk does take colour well, I remember from my bobbin lacemaking days. And it's one of the few really fine yarns which is easily available. The photo really doesn't give any idea of the true colour, which is a vibrant yellowy-green.
Another major WIP is to be seen on the Victorian Lace Today blog KAL - must find out how to import a button! I'm using the Posh Yarns cashmere bought with DS's Christmas voucher for the stripes and torchon shawl. The yarn is lovely to handle, and I'm really pleased with the way it looks, too. I really like the not-solid dye effect.
Saturday saw us exploring Milton Keynes for a change. Breakfast in Ikea, followed by a sit on all the small sofas they have. I'm considering buying a sofa so Fig can sit on it with me, but in the meanwhile I've moved a cushion-topped stool next to my chair for her. She likes to walk over from one to the other, and it seems to have given her confidence to balance on the arm of my chair, which is about 3 inches wide. After IKEA we had a brisk march through the shopping centre, and a lengthy pause in the yarn department of John Lewis, where I was almost seduced by some Noro, but at £7plus for 50 grams it doesn't compare well to people like Posh yarns. It's just that Noro's colours are so intense that I want them ALL. Then we wandered into Lush, as usual. I was impressed with Milton Keynes - loads of shops and not too many people. And I didn't see any of those intimidating gangs of youths who put me off going to Leicester city centre - or Nottingham, for that matter.
There was the suggestion on the weather forecast of snow today. Now I don't have to drive to work, the idea isn't frightening. But it's actually bright and windy. The dogs will probably get wet and muddy in the park!
I want to do some rows this morning because it's the knitting group this evening and I know I can't knit lace there. So I'll go and get on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kai said...

aww.. sounds like you had a lovely weekend.

i love shopping places that aren't so packed that you're pushing and shoving (or being pushed and shoved)all the time..

love the greeny/yellowy project... i like KSH as well.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home