Undo it and knit it again

The life and times of a retired knitter

Name:
Location: Leicester, United Kingdom

Monday, November 06, 2006

Decisions, decisions

Always hard to make! After dithering for weeks, I've decided that until I actually feel the need to do some work outside the house, I'm not going to fret any more about finding a job. I'll just be retired. Part of me thinks that's lazy, but another part can't stand the stress of applying, waiting for replies etc. And the thought of supply teaching doesn't appeal. I've even gone off the whole idea of teaching. It's probably just post-retirement revulsion, but I never thought I'd feel like this about teaching.

So now all the decisions can be easier, right? Wrong! Foremost is what to do about gym membership: it costs an arm and a leg, and at least half of the time I'm not motivated to go. Do I try and force myself, or do I content myself with strenuous walks each day with the dog? After the initial euphoria, being retired is hard work!



I did attempt photos of our aged oaks, but they're not good. Some of the trees are at least 500 years old - impossible to imagine that length of time. The stags have finally re-appeared after the rut. Today is another beautiful day; the views should be fabulous from the tops. One of the things about Leicestershire is that it's comparatively flat, so from the top of Old John you can see for miles in all directions.

The weekend took Gareth and me to Oxford - Salli is in Vegas! We tore round everywhere - Rhiannon and I had forgotten what it's like to go anywhere with him, with his 8-league trainer

Have finished first pair of socks for 40 years - not perfect, but promising - and have started second pair. We all have such big feet in our family! The new pair are going to have short-row heels and toes, to see how they fit. I actually like doing short rows, so should be good. I'm using (very bright) Regia; while I really like the idea of trying some of the flash patterns I've seen, I like these gaudy wools. Just have to make a lot of pairs, I suppose.

I have also bought some Sublime DK to make a top. Initially I planned on a 'lace' top with a ribbed waist, from their own pattern book, but the yarn didn't show the 'lace' up very well. (Inverted commas because it was so few stitches every fourth row that it hardly deserved to be called lace). I have begun this top five times now, experimenting to find a design that would suit the yarn (settled on one from 'Knitting Nature', the raglan sweater with cables at yoke), and struggling with the tension. To use the stated tension of 22 produced a fabric far stiffer than I like, so I'm now using 5mm needles and the fabric has rather more of a drape. The yarn is what I think of as round - although the price is good, I'm not sure I would buy any more. It has quite an elastic feel, which makes me hold on quite tight, rather than letting it flow as I would prefer. Ho hum.

Stash at Chester have a sale - discovered from someone's blog. (I read so many!) I've ordered some Debbie Bliss Astrakhan, which Rhiannon has been admiring since we first saw it, at an amazingly low price. I feel guilty buying yarn in the sale when I'm not a regular customer, but perhaps I might become one?

Wales drew with Australia on Saturday - they played really well. England, on the other hand, are still struggling. Even without their internationals, the Tigers won!

This morning - hoover up cat hairs; go to library. Then I can knit a few rows!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home