Undo it and knit it again

The life and times of a retired knitter

Name:
Location: Leicester, United Kingdom

Monday, October 16, 2006

New (to me) yarn source ...

Rhiannon moved safely on Friday. I went over on Saturday to see new place and help with shopping. The bribe was to go to a wool shop in exchange for a visit to Ikea. No problem!

We went to The Yarn Hut, which is in Woburn Sands, a village close to Milton Keynes. I actually went looking for Blue Sky Alpacas, having seen a pattern on another blog. In real, the pattern was disappointing, but the yarn is sumptuous. The proprietors of the shop have decided not to go down the usual stockists route, but to look for different yarns - which is why I went there, of course! They have large ranges of Lana Grossa and Filatu, but they also have smaller companies like one of my favourites, Hipknits. I was in the shop for ages - with so much yarn I'd never laid hands on before, it was very hard to choose, though I did, of course: some Lana Grossa for a coat thing for me. Rhiannon found a pattern she liked in Vogue 1, and we had a lot of help finding a substitute yarn with the right tension. It's a real wool shop, with someone sitting on a sofa being taught techniques - even on a Saturday - and informed and welcoming conversation. I really wished I could have followed their convoy to Ally Pally on the Sunday. Thank goodness Rhiannon has moved to Bicester, because I shall be able to visit often, and their monthly newsletter will keep me informed about new courses, stock etc. This is knitters' heaven! Thinking over all the chat helped me through that visit to Ikea!

So, am I doing any knitting at all? Yes! The Turbulence sweater from 'Knitting Nature' is now part blocked - I wish I could think of a way to do it all at once without using the bed, where I have to fight off Gilbert. I've got layers of blocked bits on the table, but I don't really like using a towel. I get much better results from foam sheet, but that takes up so much room.

What to knit next? Can't decide. Will keep on with domino top, but the cables on the Turbulence one have got me hooked. There's a new Nora Gaughan design in the latest Vogue: perhaps I'll make that. But look what Rhiannon bought me!



How am I ever meant to choose? but never mind, I'll go and gloat a bit more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home