Undo it and knit it again

The life and times of a retired knitter

Name:
Location: Leicester, United Kingdom

Monday, October 30, 2006

Markers again


Look! I did this!

Went on a workshop on Saturday with Anna Tillman, of Web of Wool, as tutor. Of course I've made socks before - great grim things in lovat for grandfather-in-law, who wouldn't wear 'bought' socks. But this is something much different, socks for fun, for design, for skills. I really love colour, but I'm so bad at putting colours together. This sock yarn does it for me.

It was a really good day. Inspired by what Anna showed us, I tried out different cast-ons (feeling decidedly cack-handed at times!) that I knew about but had never been bothered with. And my almost-sock uses one of them. I also learnt to avoid ladders. Not that I really had much trouble with them, but I don't really like yanking the yarn, and Anna's way is much better.

The almost-sock is in Regia silk, which feels gorgeous. When I've made this pair, I want to experiment with patterning them. I like the effect Anna showed us when you change stitch every time there's a significant colour change: it gives a great concertina effect. But for that, you have to watch all the time, and I know I'll get distracted by Horatio. Think I'll try out some cables.


Of course the stash increased. It's mostly bright: if you're going to make socks to wear, you want them to be seen. The red is for me! I haven't put all of the Bamboo in the photo; I got enough (I hope) for a jacket with floppy lapels, but when I do a swatch I might think shawl thoughts. The Bamboo is SOOOOOO soft. Perhaps I'll be the shawl and sock lady.

Need also to experiment with wrist warmers.

Oh, the markers? I'm persevering because they do make it easier to follow a pattern. Anna uses small ones - less squirt, but then they go missing deep in the recesses of the chair just when you most need them. Sue had great ones with socks dangling - would they catch in the knitting, though? So I'm using loops of wool: no pleasure to look at, but more controllable.

Tonight should be the knitting group at Borders. Visited yesterday but no poster: shall phone the store later. They can't start up something and just let it drop. There are, I guess, about 15 of us on any given evening, enough potential trade one would have thought.

Can't knit fast enough for all I want to do!

1 Comments:

Blogger ra said...

how do me duck. Thanks for dropping by my blog. My sister was thinking of the knitting group at Borders but it's on a Monday evening and that's when the baby Tigers play their matches.
I actually saw another Tigers supporter in Hudderfield (he was wearing the shirt) the other week and having reached that age where I talk to complete strangers at the drop of a hat I went up and said hello and asked what he was doing there. He lives here too, so that's at least two of us!!!

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home